Monday, September 29, 2014

How Dare You



Why I Write

I started writing The Point of the Gospel for my kids. Growing up in our current two-second-sound-byte society, they don’t have the patience to wade through four books about Jesus’ ministry to get one story. One person complained to me that people should go to the source rather than to a blog to read about Jesus’ life, and that it wasn’t hard to read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. With respect, I disagree. People have turned to writers and preachers for hundreds of years to help them understand Jesus’ teachings.

Each author of the Gospel wrote for different audiences and emphasized different aspects of that ministry. Not all included the same stories. Some teachings or parables are found in only one book, and at times, there are disagreements in where the stories are placed in the timeline of Jesus’ life and even a few discrepancies regarding what happened. I hope it will be useful to have that timeline written in one source.

Answering Criticism

Perhaps the problem lies in the idea of a blog. Some people are unfamiliar with them and possibly uncomfortable with a format they’re not used to. I consider a blog much like a conversation. The Bible clearly says to spread the word to others about Jesus’ teachings. When you talk to another person about the Bible or your personal beliefs, you don’t place a Bible before you to check your facts. As I write a post for my blog, I do. If I state a personal opinion, I specifically mark it as such.

I’d love everyone to weigh in with constructive criticism, advice, and just thoughts you’d like to share. All I ask is that you first read the blog before commenting on it. It really is hard to have a conversation about something one knows nothing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment