Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Sick and Alone



Sick and Alone

Dealt with a horrible flu this past week that really wiped me out. Still not one hundred percent but on the mend. I had no energy to cook or clean or even take a shower. But I have a husband and son still at home who took up some of the slack. They waited on me when they could, made sure I didn’t starve or get dehydrated and no doubt would have called the doctor had I gotten worse.

I have a friend I’ve known over thirty years who lost her husband to cancer several years ago and is disabled with a congenital immune system problem that causes rheumatoid arthritis and widespread neuropathy. She also has COPD. She was very sick with one thing after another this winter, some of her own making simply because she didn’t follow through with a doctor. Dealing with everything herself, she becomes overwhelmed and shuts down.

You offer to help and she usually refuses. After a while, you give up and let her do what she wants. You certainly can’t make anyone do what they don’t want. I must admit that sometimes letting go was a case of losing patience with her and not wanting to be bothered. Being sick myself and feeling helpless to alleviate the situation brought me a better understanding of how lonely it must be to have to deal with life on your own.

Ways to Help

You still can’t take over other people’s lives but you can encourage, badger a bit, and hope they choose to get the help they need to take care of themselves. Cook some soup and bring it over, call and make sure the person is functioning okay, offer to drive them to the doctor. I couldn’t have driven myself during my worse symptoms. Call an ambulance if you believe the person’s health is at risk. They won’t necessarily thank you at the time, but when feeling better and able to think more clearly, they will.

Obviously you don’t want to get sick yourself, so take precautions—hand washing, a mask if necessary. The elderly are especially vulnerable and likely to lose cognitive function when sick. If you have family or neighbors on their own, take care of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment