Monday, June 13, 2016

Persevering Through the Doldrums



The Doldrums

I find myself down in the dumps lately and wishing not to open my computer for the day’s writing, which is unlike me. Usually, writing buoys me up and I lose track of time in the midst of creating a sentence, a paragraph. I’m not tired of writing, don’t need a vacation from it. I need validation, I guess, that this is the path I should be pursuing.

I’ve written a novel and am well into finishing the second in what I intend to be a trilogy. I’ve sent a query letter to just over twenty agents so far to see if they might be interested in reading the manuscript—nothing but formulaic rejection letters in return. This is hardly unusual or unexpected. J. K. Rowling went through over ninety before someone picked up the Harry Potter books. I don’t mind the process, though it takes quite a bit of time to research every agency and agent to make sure what I have to offer fits in with the types of books they like to represent.

The Other Steps to Publication

It’s the business and social media parts that give me conniptions. Network with other writers, they recommend and mean online. They want to see a social media presence that you can build on to gather potential readers. I am part of a local writer’s group, but we don’t have visibility outside of the group. Make sure your manuscript is ready for publication, which means it should be edited and polished, ready to go. I can’t afford one professional, let alone the team this requires—editing for content and proof reading are two different skills.

Publish short stories to build your audience. I’m not convinced this one is credible. People who gravitate toward short stories tend not to take the time to read novels, a growing trend, they say, in our fast-paced world. Have a good team of beta readers—preferably people with knowledge of skilled writing who read your manuscript and offer suggestions where there might be problems with the flow of the story, whether your premise comes across, etc. My writer’s group meets once a month. Each person reads something about six pages in length, not conducive to sharing a novel. Besides, no one can remember what you read the month before. Supposedly there are groups online where you can find beta readers, but not knowing the people, you take a chance sharing your material.

Perseverance

The other day I read that the vast majority of published writers will not get their first novel published, the idea no doubt being that it takes time and experience to perfect your craft. I’m starting this late in life, however, and feel the constraint of time. My first attempt at my novel netted 275,000 words, about the length of three books, so I had to start over and pare down the first book, now at 108,000 words. Long for a first novel, it is not out of the question for a fantasy, which requires more description of the world being built.

I hope going through that process counts as a second novel. I have other stories in mind and make notes for them as they occur to me, but I’m not ready to move on from this one until I give it my all. Guess I’ll give myself a day or two to brood and then get more involved on the internet and persevere.


No comments:

Post a Comment