Monday, October 13, 2014

Shave, Wax, or Pluck--Yuck



Shaving

I could handle living in Europe or Asia and not feel constrained to shave my under arms and legs. Who started this convention? I have a Muslim friend who says it’s considered shameful for women to leave body hair unattended. I didn’t think to ask her about pubic hair. Removing hair in that sensitive area seems even more repugnant to me. Yet, I am culturally conditioned, maybe even a slave, to certain conventions. When I see women with hair under their arms, it looks weird. I rarely shave but neither do I wear sleeveless garments.

In my younger, vainer days, I tried one of those electric hair removers with a coil that ripped the hair out by the roots. Yes, it hurt—a lot. It had little effect on the hair on my knees and upper thighs, but I no longer have hair below the knees, which is good enough for me. I never had the nerve to try in on my under arm area.

Waxing or Cream Depilatories

I tried cream removers with mixed results. A bit of minor skin irritation and basically, it didn’t work well and the hair always grew back quicker than advertised. I haven’t and don’t intend to try waxing, especially around sensitive pieces-parts. Supposedly quick and lasts awhile, still, no, thank you.

Does anyone else think it’s odd for men to wax off body hair or find that hair offensive? Seems pretty natural to me, so why isn’t it for women in our culture? Young people tend to rebel against their parents’ social norms. Some young women left body hair alone in the sixties and seventies, but it never became standard.

Plucking

I rely on this for facial hair. My eyebrows have thinned and are no longer a consideration. Besides, glasses cover them up. I can live with leg and under arm hair. Hair on my chin and upper lip is another story entirely. I wonder if any culture finds this acceptable. Maybe it’s considered too much of a gender-related trait. We humans can be an illogical lot.   

No comments:

Post a Comment