Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Dreaded Synopsis



The Dreaded Synopsis

Thought I was ready to send out those query letters, but in reading the synopsis—four hundred pages of a novel smushed into two pages (yeah, right)—to a few people, it became clear that the synopsis wasn’t. People looked very confused. I think I fixed it, though much of the novel couldn’t be fit in. I kept to the most important inner conflicts of the main character, her journey to overcome a self-reliance stemming from distrust rather than a healthy need to be independent and put in only the main antagonist and the plot points concerning him.

Agents and publishers look at the query (one page only) to see if they are interested in reading more, the synopsis, which supposedly tells them whether the novel is something they’d be interested in and helps them decide if they want to read the few pages they allow you to send of the story itself. If they feel hooked by the first few pages, they may ask to see the entire manuscript. Don’t quite see how the synopsis can be much help when you have to leave so much out to fit their page requirement.

Basically, I think it gives them an idea of your voice, the tone or feel of how you write, and of your skill level. Some recommend hiring an editor to go through your novel before submitting it, but I can’t afford that. I’ve done my best to learn everything I can about grammar, sentence structure, and story structure. I hope it suffices or that my writing shows enough promise that the agents reading my material will send back specific constructive criticism rather than a form rejection.

The Goal

Being asked for the whole manuscript is like hitting the jackpot. While no guarantee that the agent will decide to represent you or that the novel will be accepted by a publisher, it is rare to be asked and proof that you are at least on the right track. Of course if someone wants to represent you, you are likely to jump at the first chance in fear that no one else will offer. Best thing is to do your homework on the agent before submitting to them to get an idea if you might be a good match. There is also good advice out there on questions to ask to help you decide. Wouldn’t it be something to have more than one interested?

Prayers appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment