Monday, October 10, 2016

The Debate--Two Questions



Two Questions

I watched last night’s presidential debate with the thought to talk about it today. Truthfully, I can’t think of much to say that hasn’t already been beaten to death in the media except for two things. I find it interesting that the backlash from Donald Trump’s stupidity on that bus has been centered on him alone. There were two men talking. Why does no one berate Billy Bush?

I have seen the talk-show host on NBC’s Today’s Take lately, though I didn’t know who he was. I don’t see him on the show this morning and have no idea if he was a temporary cohost or if his part in that tape has lost him a job. I turned it on halfway through and obviously am not a constant watcher of the show.

I found the last question in the debate fascinating. An audience member asked, “What one positive thing can you say about your opponent?” The first thing I thought about was the safe answer of saying that the other candidate had done a good job of raising his or her kids or kid. Hilary was allowed to go first and took that easy out. Donald’s answer was typical Donald—gut reaction without giving much thought to editing. Saying that Hilary was a fighter and never gave up was complimentary and counter to what he said about her never accomplishing anything. Considering the temperament of Congress these days, one might think that’s what we need to get something done.

Political Overload

There is one debate to go and I doubt it will make much difference to the election. I know last night’s didn’t. Nothing new or particularly enlightening surfaced. The debates haven’t been as entertaining as I hoped. I cynically didn’t expect much else to come from them. As is probably true with most of us, I have political fatigue. I’m sick of all the empty words, all the nasty ads, and the public’s nasty social-media reactions.

Honestly, I doubt who sits as President is all that important. We can always be rid of him or her in four years. Do we really want change? If so, why have we voted in the same Senators and Congressman year after year? They are the people who draft and pass or squash laws, vote for or against nominees to government posts and decide budgets for public services.

The Third Question

So I guess there should be a third question. Voter turnout for local elections tends to be minimal. That’s where political responsibility starts. We can be overloaded by political nonsense, cynical that anything will ever change, etc., but if we just check out and don’t fulfil our responsibilities as citizens to be however informed we can manage and vote, do we have the right to bitch?

No comments:

Post a Comment