Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Failure Is an Option--Part Two



First Grown-up Job

My first solo project required the writing of a lengthy new set of commands. Unwieldy at first, I whittled it down to something workable in a couple of weeks. I spent the next month doodling, pretending to be working as I butted my head against the impenetrable wall of the existing code stubbornly refusing to reveal its secrets. I had no clue where to place my program in the stream of data.
  
My first really grown-up chance at a career and I was bungling it. Shame ate at my confidence.  There were a vast number of things for which I had no talent, but I’d never before been defeated by something I put all my time and effort into accomplishing. Had I?

As I said, I love languages. I studied French and Spanish in high school, the only non-English courses offered. Junior year, I was ordered to choose one or the other as this year both were scheduled for the same time period. Being the only person affected, what right did I have to question or complain about the school’s decision? I never brought it up.

Shy in my teens and young adulthood, I proudly summoned the nerve to audition for my college’s chorus. The tryout included singing a song from a piece of sheet music without accompaniment. I could read music, but this was more akin to singing by ear, something beyond my comfort zone and, to be honest, my skill set.
 
I knew the song and the director plunked out the starting note on an old piano. I was a bit literal minded, still am for that matter. I assumed singing from memory wasn’t the same thing as singing by ear and not what he wanted. I didn’t ask, only said that I had no experience with this type of singing. The director politely dismissed me. Hardly comparable to my trouble at work, I thought.

More next time.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment