Monday, March 17, 2014

Short Story



Writing Exercise

I wrote this story as an exercise to see if I could come up with something in a relatively short span of time. The theme is overdone and obvious to many. It’s still fun and gives you one idea of my writing. I’ll post it in three or four installments.


I’ll Fix You

Molly thinks I should answer to her. I don’t bother to argue. There are other ways to make a point. I have no problem staying on my side of the bed. She usually makes the move to close the distance, cooing like a plump pigeon. Not that she’s fat, exactly. She’d say cuddly. Maybe I’m in the mood to humor her, maybe I’m not. When I move to the couch, Molly knows it’s a lost cause and lets me be for two seconds.
She’d really like to keep track of my coming and going, maybe give me a curfew. I shortly disabused her of that notion. No one dictates to Toby. If I get a little rough with her time to time, she should know better than to rouse my temper.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m very fond of Molly, but I need my space, room to maneuver, if you get my drift. Sometimes, I swear the nagging’s actually comical – stop doing that, don’t make a mess, and most specifically don’t get anything on the good furniture. Does she actually think I’m listening? The lousy, prepackaged junk she pushes on me at meals, which she happens to get around to whenever it fits her schedule, isn’t so amusing. Trust me, I can get much better out and when it suits my timing.
We met at Molly’s best friend’s and I moved in about a month later – love at first sight.  Yeah, yeah. Molly’s the top fan of the sentimental club. She splurged on special eats for our first anniversary. It was cold. At least I ate it. Have to give Molly kudos where deserved, though. The place is always clean.
Doesn’t make up for how boring one-on-one playtime’s become. Molly’s idea of frisky is pretty much that – an idea, as in one hit wonder. Worked fine in the beginning, why get creative? And she wonders at my desire to be gone so often. I mean, really? Get a clue. Everybody needs variety, else you get stuck in some nasty rut that can make you really cranky and hard to live with. Molly complains she never knows how I’ll react. One minute I’m chilling, the next I’m bad tempered and moody. She should see that I’m doing her a favor going out for my fun. Helps a guy stay mellow.
All right, so I stayed out all night on her birthday. Like I can keep track. That’s why Molly hires some old lady reeking of dog to water the puny, light-starved plants when she occasionally goes on business trips.

Second installment next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment