Friday, April 11, 2014

The Point of the Gospel--Intro



Compiling the Story

I am a mom who decided to compile the story of Jesus to make it more user friendly for my kids. In our society of ever quickening gratification, wading through four often redundant accounts to learn one story may seem too time-consuming. Yet each author wrote from a unique perspective and included stories or philosophies not found in the other accounts.

I wanted to stay close to the Bible’s tone and give my children a sense of the original writing. Not a theologian, I went at this as a layperson with a love of the story and teachings, a healthy curiosity, and lots of questions that need to be discussed. I ask them more in the spirit of debate than as an expert with the answers. Other than for historical remarks, I consulted no sources but the Bible.

I encourage my kids to seek God in prayer, through the study of available resources, and by asking questions rather than mindlessly accepting others’ interpretations of what they should believe. One thing everyone can probably agree on is that no human is perfect. So it stands to reason that no human organization possesses perfect knowledge of God. Feel free to weigh in with your own questions and insights, though I do ask that we remain civil and respectful in any dialogue. I love to debate. I will not harangue.

Next post—the point of the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment