Monday, February 27, 2017

2016 Oscars



The Oscars

Why do I continue to watch this award show when I haven’t seen one of the movies nominated and have rarely seen more than two or three in other years? Sometimes I tune in to watch a particular host I enjoy. I usually like the opening numbers and the performances of the songs nominated. I used to like the anticipation of hearing winners’ speeches, but now that they have so ruthlessly cut the time for each, not much of interest gets said. A continual list of thank-yous quickly becomes boring. Even the memorial for those who have died in the past year has been truncated and modified to banality.

Yet I continue to watch, maybe out of habit or tradition. I started watching as a child with my parents and can remember being nail-bitingly invested in who won in years past. I feel no anticipation anymore and certainly am not invested in the outcomes, and yet I watch.

2016 Awards

I watched the fashion parade prior to the show, which I don’t care about but, gold being this year’s haute couture, it was interesting to see how many shades and variations in style the gowns managed. The opening number was a nice song but tame to the point of ho-hum compared to past years. I thought the In Memoriam was a little better this year—a pretty song and some nice outtakes from the actors highlighted, ending with Carrie Fisher, as Leia, saying, “May the force be with you.”   

Considering the political passion of the last year, comments were fairly few, restrained, and respectful, except of course for the comic bits of the host, Jimmy Kimmel. He made a special point of eliciting a standing ovation in support of the overrated, has-been Meryl Streep (President Trump’s comments after she exhorted people to stand up and be vigilant against attacks on our civil liberties at the Golden Globes).

It was sweet though I couldn’t help wondering if some in the audience felt peer pressure to stand despite the fact that they thought she shouldn’t have used the Golden Globes as a political forum. Normally I agree with that. There are better forums than award shows. But Ms. Streep was receiving a life-achievement award, which should probably leave latitude for the recipient to talk about what is most important to them.

I was happy to see Jungle Book win for visual effects, which I thought were stunning. So I did see one movie nominated. I’d forgotten it was part of this year’s awards.

The Oops Moment

Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway gave the award for Best Picture and had the wrong card (it was for a different category) and announced the winner to be La La Land when it was actually Moonlight. Mr. Beatty looked odd when he read it and handed it to poor Ms. Dunaway to read. Price Waterhouse took responsibility for placing the wrong card in the envelope. I’m sure they will be very careful next year not to repeat what could have been a fiasco, but Jimmy Kimmel handled it well. Not the best, not the worst of the Oscar shows. I’ll no doubt watch again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment